Tuesday 25 March 2014

Maithili Kabre - A New Jewellery Designer On The Block

I was surfing instagram about a week ago when I came across an Indian jewellery designer's account and started browsing her creations. I'm a sucker for crystal jewellery, especially colourful Swarovski crystals. Something about the way they shine get me all excited. I had never heard of Maithili Kabre until that day. I immediately commented on photo asking how I can get my hands on some of the jewellery that Shraddha Kapoor and Anushka Sharma wore for a Femina shoot. She replied almost instantly with her email address. I decided to randomly ask her for an interview and she was kind enough to agree.

Shraddha+kapoor
Shraddha Kapoor

Shraddha Kapoor


anushka+sharma
Anuskha Sharma

Keep reading to find out more about this fabulous upcoming jewellery designer and discover the kind of materials she uses, the process that goes into the making of her designs and why the brand hasn't gone fully commercial.





Hanadi: Your designs are so pretty yet the brand is relatively non-commercial, why is that? I have heard of a lot of upcoming Indian designers, but had it not been for instagram, I would have never discovered you!

Maithili: We have just started in November 2013. We haven't gone fully commercial yet. But yes, once we are convinced  of the PR + Fashion week drill, we will get there. Trying to gauge and carve our own path is quite important.

Hanadi: Tell us about your latest collection?

Maithili: ​ The latest Collection for Spring Summer 2014 is Gardenia, which is literally inspired by the delicate forms & rich colours of Flowers & leafs​. It is Super fresh, ultra feminine and extremely easy, yet stylish to wear.





Hanadi: What kind of materials do you use in your designs?

Maithili: We love using Swarovski elements and other crystals. All jewellery is handcrafted in brass and gold plated.

Hanadi: Do you use any unusual materials like Perspex in your designs? I LOVE Perspex!

Maithili:
Yes, we have quite extensively. We love Perspex and the clean modern look it offers. They've done tremendously well in Magazines & TV features.
  Hanadi: Where do you look for inspiration for your new collections?

Maithili: Its possibly from all over. Urban culture, art movements, nature, personality traits, facets of being a woman are the varied themes we have played with.

Hanadi: What was the most complicated and time consuming collection you created?

Maithili:  ​The First main collection for Maithili Kabre was Heiress. Since we were working with techniques of handcrafting, bench work and soldering tiny pieces together to achieve impeccable finishing, it took quite a few samples to get there. 





Hanadi: Where do you get your craftsmen from?

Maithili: We have a workshop based  in Mumbai​.

Hanadi: Can you tell us about the making process?

Maithili: All jewellery is handcrafted by very skilled craftsmen. The process usually involves saw cutting, assembling, soldering parts together, finishing, buffing, plating twice and setting all the crystals by hand. It is quite a meticulous process, but the end result is  always worth it.

Hanadi: What is the label's USP?

Maithili: The jewellery is designed to stand out by complementing the wearer and not overpowering her personality. Its elegant, feminine, exquisite ,immaculately finished.

Hanadi: Tell us a little bit about yourself..

Maithili: I am a post graduate in lifestyle accessory design from National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad. I am a trained architect and dabbled in handmade jewellery during college years but didn't think I would take this up as a profession till after NID. Starting with an Indian fashion jewellery label SWA in 2006, and after feeling well equipped and ready in 2013, Maithili Kabre was launched as a premium fashion Jewellery label.

Hanadi: What sparked your interest in jewellery design?

Maithili: The very fact that I could instantly create what was in my mind into reality was gratifying. Gradually, I've developed a better understanding, widened my knowledge and techniques base quite consciously towards jewellery. The whole process of design, from consolidating collections, to making samples and final products is very stimulating.

Hanadi: Do you have a mentor you look up to?

Maithili: I do not have a mentor, but I think two professors in the Design schools I have been to have added different facets to me as a designer. ​They've made me realise my strengths and weaknesses and that constantly helps me.

Hanadi: Have you started retailing on any e-commerce platform yet?

Maithili: Yes, we have just started retailing on a few retail platforms.

Hanadi: Where can one buy your designs?

Maithili: Currently Available at http://www.studiorudraksh.com/and few more portals. We also take orders on Email and Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/maithilikabre.accessories

Hanadi: Where do you see your brand in five years from now?

Maithili: Maithili Kabre will be known as a Premium Fashion jewellery label, made in India,  known for its exquisite designs retailing across the globe.

P.S, you can contact the designer on kabre.maithili@gmail.com for any inquiries.


2 comments:

  1. Wow nice stuff man! Love the designs and cuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I really adore the colourful designs.

    ReplyDelete