Wednesday 30 October 2013

Dior X Andy Warhol Bags


When I saw the Christian Dior FW 13 show a few months ago, I was enamored by the surrealist and pop art inspired collection. I remember looking at the bags especially and thinking, I have never seen a prettier Lady Dior bag -- what with the Andy Warhol shoe sketches on them! That’s just plain genius delivered by Raf: I mean reinterpreting something as iconic, and I daresay common into such gorgeous accessories.


Christian+Dior+FW+2013+Bags
LARGE LADY DIOR BAG IN GRIS POUDRE SMOOTH CALF SKIN WITH SILK SCREEN AND GOLD AND SILVER LEAF TECHNIQUE
Christian+Dior+FW+2013+Bags
CLUTCH IN BLACK SMOOTH CALF SKIN WITH SILK SCREEN AND GOLD AND SILVER LEAF TECHNIQUE
Now the legend that Andy Warhol already is, inspiring numerous forms of fashion and art the world across, I believe that nothing ever inspired by his sense of aesthetics and personal touch can ever be clichéd. He came into limelight in the 1950’s with his playful shoe illustrations that are now one of most famous sketches during his career. His Marilyn Monroe numbers, and the ever-green muse-artist affair with Edie Sedgwick ring fancy with all that love popular culture. And perhaps, one would even find deep meanings within the wildly famous Campbell’s Soup can lithographs -- mundane as they might seem. And here is precisely why this adage -- the Dior collaboration with the Andy Warhol Foundation -- results in some of the most coveted accessories of the season.
I love the way Raf Simons always revisits the Dior house’s past for inspiration. Christian Dior owned a little art gallery where he sold artwork including that of Pablo Picasso. Raf Simons himself is an art lover leaning more towards mid-century art, so the connection in terms of their love for art is evident.  Pertaining to the collaboration with the Andy Warhol foundation, Simons says “For me Warhol made so much sense. I was interested in the delicacy and sensitivity in the early work he did, I was drawn to that graphic style naturally in this collection. It was that notion of hand work and personal signature that fitted throughout.”  And indeed he was right to think it made sense.  I have never seen a more beautiful artistic union.


Christian+Dior+FW+2013+Bags
 LADY DIOR BAG IN LATTE SMOOTH CALF SKIN WITH SILK SCREEN AND GOLD AND SILVER TECHNIQUE
As I was planning my finances for my new bag, (I usually have an annual bag fund), I was contemplating between a Lady Dior with the shoe sketch on it or the Chanel boy bag. I ring up Dior to find out about the prices et al, only to discover that it is strictly limited edition and that the entire collection is sold out worldwide. YES WORLDWIDE! GREAT, just my luck. If I wasn't already struggling to sort out my bag fund, I go on to find out that the bag is not available; this only makes me want it more! Why god WHY?! Being an Andy Warhol fan myself, you can imagine my current plight. I even missed his auction on Christie's. Life can be cruel at times. 
Christian+Dior+FW+2013+Bags
CLUTCH IN SMOOTH CALF SKIN WITH SILKSCREEN AND OXIDIZED GOLD LEAF TECHNIQUE
Christian+Dior+FW+2013+Bags
LADY DIOR BAG IN SMOOTH CALF SKIN WITH SILK SCREEN AND BLUE SILICONE FINISHING
Christian+Dior+FW+2013+Bags
CLUTCH IN CELESTE SMOOTH CALFSKIN WITH SILK SCREEN AND BLACK INLAID PATENT
The classic silhouettes of the bags (Lady Dior & Lady Dior Clutch) in this collection, combined with the playfulness of the legendary illustrations give these accessories the much deserved IT bag status. Now, how to get my hands on one is the big question. The bags are priced at INR 400,000 and upwards. I suggest you start sweet talking a Dior sales person right about NOW.


Chitrangda Singh+Dior+India
Chitrangadha Singh in Dior in the Harper's Bazaar India November issue  

Chitrangda Singh+Dior+India

Chitrangadha Singh in Dior in the Harper's Bazaar India November issue 

Store Locations: DLF Emporio, New Delhi - +91 11 46005900  & Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai - +91 22 67499091

Image Courtesy: Christian Dior

No comments:

Post a Comment