Friday 26 April 2013

Monogrammed Away


What I love so much about Delhi is how everyone loves to dress up here. Be it going to the mall, a luncheon, partying, etc. I just love how people put in that extra effort to get dolled up because I do too. But the only issue here with most delhiites is that their idea of style is slightly warped.

I don’t mean this in an offensive way but what has been happening in the last few years is there that everyone and I mean everyone has to be monogrammed from top to bottom. Sometimes I feel that people here are pretty much walking talking brand dispensers. Put in a coin, chose from Burberry, Louis Vuitton or Gucci and of course the huge H for Hermes belt and there you have it; every monogram you can possibly think of.

I understand that recently, the rich have become richer and it’s their way of telling the world I have made it. But people, there are so many other ways to show you've made it. Your Burberry checked shirt, paired with that H belt, Dolce & Gabbana jeans (with the gold plate on the rear pocket), of course monogrammed Fendi shoes and finally a Louis Vuitton bag is hardly a proof you've made it in life. That’s just bad dressing. 

By the way, I'm not kidding, I've seen people dress like that on numerous occasions. Walk into DLF Emporio and you'll know what I'm talking about!

The situation is so dreary here that I am actually embarrassed to use my cherished Louis Vuitton bags now. I have loved Louis Vuitton since I was 16. At some point in my life, I knew every bag from every season off by heart and their names too! In fact their Speedy was the first designer bag I had ever used. Now she just lies in my wardrobe along with my precious Ferragamo belt (I bought that with my own money which is a big deal since I usually mooch off my parents and now my husband) and some other monogrammed items which I am too mortified to use.

Haven’t you notice the latest trend? Less is more. Truly it is. Trust me people when you’re wearing designer clothes, a sheer glance at the fabric is good enough to tell that this aint high street stuff. What do you think makes designer clothes and accessories different from high street products? The quality of fabric, the cut of the garment, the hardware, leather and the shape of a handbag or shoes; all these are usually of a much superior quality and trust me people will know its expensive.

Remember what Yves Saint Laurent said, “Dressing is a way of life”. It’s certainly not  a battle of the brands. You have it in you. And if you feel you don’t, well, that’s what this blog is for!   

5 comments:

  1. Ha! In the UK the monogrammed brigade are called Chavs.. Unfortunately for you Burberry and Louis Vuitton is their brand of choice! Otherwise lovely blog, gossipy and fun - keep up the good work ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spoke to Luxe Guru Lorre white about this, she says in emerging markets like India, brands like to position their logo that way on merchandise for their visibility. I guess UK ones are just wannabes. Chavs anyway have a long history of flash overload back after the wars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually chavs have nothing to do with the war, the stereotype is fairly recent.. Probably stemming from the 90s when Thatcherism and new labour gave rise to this capitalistic culture of 'more is good'. These are young boys and girls of working class background flush with benefit money which they haven't earned and so it's spent on bling designer jewellery, designer wear, (typically sports wear, juicy couture for girls), and flashing designer labels which monograms which the more aristocratic families in Europe would never do. In which I agree with Hannu's point about new money. For english aristocrats being shabby is almost a badge of honour! And even if smartly turned out the clothes and bags are discreet - case in point being Pippa Middleton with her modalu and milli millu handbags! They have nothing to prove to the world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right! I got confused between zoots and chavs! My bad :)

    ReplyDelete