Monday 7 October 2013

Paris Fashion Week SS 14 - Trends We Love

Hello everyone, I'm finally done going through all the Paris shows and am reporting back with my trend report. Oy Vay that took long enough!. The Jewish expression stems from me watching too many reruns of The Nanny in the last couple of weeks hence Sylvia Fine is rubbing on to me.

Okay back to the trends. Here goes.

1. Fringes. Aah, The Great Gatsby trend is really catching on. I thought it would stop by the end of this year but apparently not. A LOT of designers did fringes. Some reminded us of the 1920's and some of the wild wild west and in the case of Louis Vuitton and Miu Miu, the fringes came with embellishments. How will you wear it next year, Gatsby chic or bohemian chic?

paris+fashion+week+ss14+trends
L-R: Jean Paul Gaultier, Junya Watanabe, Louis Vuitton, Chanel

paris+fashion+week+ss14+trends
L-R: Maxime Simoens, Alexander McQueen, Miu Miu, Moncler Gamme Rouge

paris+fashion+week+ss14+trends
L-R: Dior, Sacai, Valentino, Zadig & Voltaire

2. Pretty Pleats. Don't knife pleats remind you of high school? I used to wear a pleated skirt to school and I remember loving it. In fact, just this summer i bought a gorgeous red crepe dress from Joseph which has these lovely pleats from the waist down to the knees. It moves so gracefully when i walk. I feel all girly in it. I love these pleats on dresses too, it's so much more comfortable to wear a pleated maxi as opposed to  free flowing one which you end up stepping on again and again. So please don't start discarding your pleats just yet as they're going strong all the way till next year.

paris+fashion+week+ss14+trends
L-R: Chloe, Dior, Dries Van Noten, Givenchy, Celine

paris+fashion+week+ss14+trends
L-R: Jean Paul Gaultier, Alexander McQueen, Rochas, Vionnet

3. Prints. We may have covered this trend previously, but I really cannot not mention it again, simply because I love the inspirations behind these amazing prints. I loved the way the Kenzo prints sent out a message against over fishing and Celine's giant paint brush strokes were pretty awesome and of course the very artsy face print at Jean-Charles De Castelbajac. I absolutely adored the Henri Rousseau inspired jungle prints at Hermes. So ladies, don't shy away from wearing bold prints next year. They're so fun! 

paris+fashion+week+ss14+trends
L-R: Chanel, Dior, Givenchy, Celine, Hermes


paris+fashion+week+ss14+trends
L-R: Jean-Charles De Castelbajac, Jean Paul Gaultier, Kenzo, Miu Miu, Vivienne Westwood

4. Metallic. So there was this whole metallic theme going on in Paris, especially at Lanvin where Alber Elbaz showcased a parade of models in head to toe metallic silhouettes.  Personally I am not a huge fan of the metallic trend. It somehow reminds me of a Quality Street candy wrapper. But hey, that's just my opinion. If worn correctly, it can look stunning like the dress by Valentin Yudashkin.

paris+fashion+week+ss14+trends
L-R: Jean-Charles De Castelbajac, Dior, Dries Van Noten, Lanvin


paris+fashion+week+ss14+trends
Rochas, Saint Laurent, Dior, Valentin Yudashkin

5. Longer Hemlines. Nothing says summer more than mini dresses and mini skirts, but this time around I noticed that hemlines are dropping to midis and maxis for SS 14. 

paris+fashion+week+ss14+trends
L-R: Balenciaga, Celine, Chanel, Giambattista Valli

paris+fashion+week+ss14+trends
L-R: Louis Vuitton, Givenchy, Hermes, Jean-Charles De Castelbajac

paris+fashion+week+ss14+trends
L-R: Stella McCartney, Valentino, Veronique Leroy, Paul & Joe

6. Shirtdresses. This was my absolute favorite trend. The first time I fell in love with a shirtdress was when Sarah Jessica Parker wore it in Sex & The City season 3 episode 18. After she fell into the lake she goes to dry up at Mr Big's apartment and leaves wearing an over-sized white shirt cinched at the waist with a simple Hermes belt. I remember being amazed at how a simple white shirt can look so fabulous so you know how happy I am to see these trending big time. I'm going to get my hands on a shirt dress ASAP. Or better yet, try my luck at wearing one of my husband's Thomas Pink shirts with a belt (he's 6"3 so I'm pretty sure it won't be too short). I'm attaching a picture of SJP in that white shirt. Please ignore the picture quality as I couldn't find one online so I made a shoddy attempt at taking it with my phone whilst pausing the scene on my laptop.

paris+fashion+week+ss14+trends
L-R: Balenciaga, Dior, Sacai, Viktor & Rolf, Veronique Branquinho


paris+fashion+week+ss14+trends+shirtdress
Sarah Jessica Parker in Sex & The City

7. Stripes. Horizontal, vertical or embellished like at Givenchy and McQueen, stripes will be pretty hot next year too.

paris+fashion+week+ss14+trends
L-R: Emanuel Ungaro, Givenchy, Hermes, Dior

paris+fashion+week+ss14+trends
L-R: Alexander McQueen, Valentino, Sacai

No comments:

Post a Comment