Monday 21 October 2013

Coffee Table Book Addiction - Dior Glamour By Mark Shaw

As I was sitting on my chaise lounge enjoying a lovely Delhi evening a few days ago, oohing and aahing over images from my Valentino coffee table book by Rizzoli Publications, I get an email from Dior pr informing me about their new coffee table book launch. Of course, being an avid fashion coffee table book collector I was immediately intrigued and had to know more.

Some of my fashion coffee table books

The book, Dior Glamour by Mark Shaw is not just A book, its a fairy tale. Featuring rare images by legendary photographer Mark Shaw, that have never been seen before as they were only recently discovered inside a secret vault in his estate, this book is a a masterpiece. Shaw was famous not only for photographing the Kennedy family album, but he also changed the face of fashion photography and was the first to photograph the Paris fashion scene in color.



As I go through some of the images from the book online, I am left awestruck and taken to somewhat of a fantasy land. Mark was given exclusive access into the couture house where he captured rare behind the scenes photographs during fittings and runway shows inside Dior's Grand Salon which are presented in the book. The volume also contains over 200 images featuring actresses, socialites and models in iconic Dior ballgowns, day suits and haute couture collections.

A Mark Shaw photograph from the book


If you want to see Monsieur Dior's "New Look" up close and personal, the stunning clothes from the most iconic Vivante (1953), H (1954) and Silhouette De Demain (1960) lines, it's all there in a book that gives a new meaning to the word beautiful. Releasing on the 29th October, I am definitely getting myself a copy and anyone who loves fashion history and photography should too.

A Mark Shaw photograph from the book

1 comment: