Saturday 19 October 2013

Diwali Essentials

With Diwali just around the corner and all those card party invitations you've got piled up, a closet full of clothes and shoes that have already been "seen", suffice to say you're running around like a headless chicken. Oh wait, now I'm not sure if I'm talking about myself with reference to my BFF's wedding and my clothes drama surrounding it! Nonetheless, we all know the month before Diwali there's just one night out after another and EVERYONE here in Delhi loves nothing more than to show off their clothes and accessories.

Here's what't trending, AKA my never ending wishlist!


Diwali+2013


I've often noticed that during Diwali parties, the color palette stays true to fall colors; black, crimson, oxblood and so on. Funnily for me, irrespective of the season, I have a penchant for corals, oranges and pink, hence no surprises there that three of the outfits that struck my eye belong to this color family! Besides, I always feel the lack of bright colors in diwali parties so I thought why not change things around a little bit this year.

1. Manish Malhotra Peach And Pink Kurta Set - Okay so this "technically" doesn't fall into the Diwali essentials category since its only available 4-6 weeks after ordering but somehow I just had to show it to you guys. I love love love love this suit. The border is so pretty, the color is so bright and happy and the sheer patches in between are sexy. Oh and it comes with a bright green dupatta. Isn't it just the perfect outfit to cheer you up on a foggy winter night in Delhi? Click here to purchase.

2. Ridhi Mehra Orange Dori Work Kurta Set - This is such a classy suit and will definitely stand out amongst all the salma sitara type suits people end up wearing to card parties. Sorry ladies, I'm just not much a of "in your face diamante" suit type person. The simple gold collar and cuffs paired with the flowy chiffon makes this a really elegant outfit. Click here to purchase.

3. Varun Bahl Red And Gold Chantilly Lace Sari - Man, I'm such a sucker for Varun's designs, especially his sequinned stuff. I love this sari's sequinned border and I totally adore how this is brighter shade of red as opposed to the ones leading towards maroon. Click here to purchase.

4. Anamika Khanna Indigo Crushed Silk Kurta Set - As you all may have seen by now, I am a "less is more" kind of person. And while I may be cursed at for wearing such a simple outfit to a diwali party, I personally thought this was my most favorite outfit on Pernia's Pop Up Shop. The simplicity means I can pair it up with some super funky accessories and the dark blue colors are perfectly in tune with the winter. Never mind the once overs that women will give you, trust me, if paired with the right accessories, you will turn heads. This outfit is just fabulous. Click here to purchase.

5. Masaba Coral Pink And Off White Fan Print Sari - I really really wish people started experimenting more here in Delhi. I get so annoyed with people wearing the same old boring stuff to parties. I mean if you're out almost every night to some fancy do, wouldn't it be more fun when you walk in wearing a bright coral sari with a whimsical fan print on it. Masaba Gupta is really changing the face of the traditional sari and I worship her for it. Click here to purchase.

Finally, if none of these suit you, I suggest try something slightly outlandish like pairing a gorgeous Nehru jacket with dhotis. I wore this combo to my BFF's cocktail and no jokes, I had like random people come up and complement me on the outfit. I was totally gushing. I also accessorized it by stacking bracelets from high street brands.  Here's me dabbling with androgynous clothing!

JJ+Valaya+Nehru+Jacket
With the husband who is also wearing a Nehru Jacket!


Nehru Jacket: JJ Valaya
Dhoti: Abu Jani Sandeep Khosla
Clutch: Alexander Wang Pelican Clutch
Shoes: Micheal Kors


Diwali+2013

Moving on to the shoes, now some things I believe should be according to tradition like metallic footwear for Indian festivities. But we surely can have fun with the designs can't we?

1. Aquazzura Cannes Chain Trimmed Mirrored Leather Sandals - Before I say anything, I just have to say that I am absolutely crazy over Edgardio Osorio's (the genius behind the label) designs. The brand has taken over the shoe world with a storm and has been seen on countless celebrities. This pair is a classic design but with a cool snake chain winding along the straps giving it a modern twist. Oh and there's a golden pineapple at the bottom of every pair to pay homage to his birthplace, Colombia.  Click here to purchase.

2. Charlotte Olympia Take 110 Metallic Leather Sandals - So if you end up wearing a suit paired with ankle length pants to a party, what better than to pair it with these silver colored sandals resembling a classic film roll. It's just such a cool pair, and not to mention eye catching. It would be refreshing if people started experimenting with footwear here just a tad bit, it's so fun. God I just love Charlotte Olympia designs. Click here to purchase.

3. Musa Embellished Leather Sandals - Man, my feet are so sore from wearing heels all day and night as my BFF gets married and sadly the one thing I lack in my shoe closet are embellished flat sandals. Which is why I spotted these online and figured there are many who feel my suffering. This pair in gold leather and multicolored crystals  is the answer to all those aching feet out there who still yearn to be fabulous on a night out. Click here to purchase.

4. Valentino Studded Leather Sandals - So imagine you bought the blue Anamika Khanna suit I featured above, and now imagine these stunning sandals from Valentino's super coveted rockstud series. I can just close my eyes and see how amazing it looks! Besides, these rockstuds are a must have just generally also. I am in the process of saving up. Click here to purchase.

5. Jimmy Choo Strappy Pebbled Metallic Leather Sandals - Aside from the glitzy silver color, I love the pebbled leather and the design of the straps on this pair. Click here to order.

Diwali+2013

Of course one can never walk into a party empty handed. I'd sooner die than leave the house without my precious bag or clutch. Since most of the outfits I featured were on the simpler side, I thought why not pair with some slightly blingy clutches to complete the look.

1. Anya Hindmarch Valorie Glitter Finished Clutch - Don't you just love the glittery backgammon board inspired stripes?! The perfect shiny accessory to hold the wads of cash to play with! Click here to purchase.

2. Dolce & Gabbana Embellished Brocade Clutch - When I saw the gold filled FW 13 collection on the runway a little while back, it took my breath away; from the clothes to the floral cage sandals to even the gold crowns that are pretty much sold out and now this crystal and bead embellished clutch.  I love anything inspired by ancient history, so when I read that this particular clutch was inspired from the mosaics of a Sicilian cathedral I was sold. This ones a keeper season after season. It comes with an optional chain strap. Click here to purchase.

3. Jason Wu Bead Embellished Box Clutch - Jason Wu's signature box clutches are a must have and this one especially with it's gunmetal frame and black and white beads on it. Click here to purchase.

4. Oscar De La Renta Goa Bead Embellished Satin Clutch - My first thought when I laid eyes on this beauty was how exquisite the embellishments are. I've actually never seen anything like it. It reminds me of couture for some reason, except on a bag! LOVE! Click here to purchase.


Diwali+2013

Now that we've covered the most important essentials, i.e. clothes, shoes and bags, it's time for something extra.

1. Alexander McQueen Flower Enamel Brooch - The next time your favorite salon girl uses one of those big fat pins to tie up your sari, hand her this gorgeous enamel brooch filled with pearls, Swarvoski crystals and the McQueen skulls on it. Isn't it just the perfect way to hold up the sari pallu. Click here to purchase.

2. Eugenia Kim Poodle Gold-Tone Headband - Whenever I put on a headband, I love how girly it makes me look. Try this one for a sophisticated yet whimsical spin with the cute gold poodles on it. I know it seems a bit eccentric to wear a headband to a Diwali party, but really there's no harm in changing things around every now and then. Once you do so, people will simply follow. Click here to purchase,

3. Lanvin Playing Cards - You all know I'm obsessed with Alber Elbaz's funny sketches right? I've got the notebook, the Alber Elbaz X Lancome Mascara, and there's no way I'm not buying these. Whilst you can't wear these, you can certainly gift this to someone who absolutely loves fashion. Look at these adorable sketches on the playing cards. It's a perfect Diwali gift (hint hint, feel free to gift them to me!). Click here to purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment