Monday 16 June 2014

The Flat Shoe Movement

In 2009 I discovered the Gucci Brits and from then on I was loyal to the brand's flats. I ditched my heels for the days (and sometimes at night too) to wear my very comfortable flat sandals. At 26, it was a pretty young age to get off heels for the daytime but for some reason I just couldn’t tolerate it. Wearing heels during the day just seemed like too much of a task, especially if you’re running errands, or if you decide to go shopping at the mall. I just cannot walk for five hours in heels. My feet end up aching and eventually I start walking funny. So that was it. Heels were to be worn pretty much at night or at the occasional day time function where there was more sitting involved. However, now things have changed. Flat shoes have made quite the comeback!

Flats were seen at quite a few of the Spring Summer 14 shows last year and created a bit of a spark. However, after the SS Haute Couture shows, there was only thing the fashion fraternity could talk about. It was the couture sneaker as seen in Dior and Chanel or flat loafer type sandals with plumes that models wore at the Schiaparelli show. Flats in haute couture? Had hell frozen over? Anyways, not too long after the couture shows were the FW 14 shows. And what seemed to be the topic of discussion then too? Flat shoes! It was official, they were deemed fashionable.

Hallelujah for me! Now I can wear mine without looking like the odd one out! Honestly, not that I give much of a hoot whether or not they had the official stamp of approval from fashion folks, I would have still continued to wear them like I used to. Life is too short to spend It walking in discomfort. But think about it, there are so many women out there who almost NEVER flats because it would be too much of a fashion faux pas to be seen in anything but heels. Yes, agreed, high heels bring in a certain sexiness and heightened sense of confidence. But it is okay to give your feet a much deserved break every now and then. This new flat shoe movement surely takes a lot of the pressure off.

So what kind of flat shoes are trending currently? First there are those pool slider/ Birkenstock types. Remember those Birkenstock sandals? Any fashion victim would rather be found dead than be seen in those? Well, funnily enough, they’re having a major moment. Celine had these crazy pool sliders a few seasons ago that were fur lined and Givenchy has those signature floral Birkenstock types that are quite the rage. Then there is Prada’s version of the ugly floater sandal. Why must Prada keep coming back to the whole ugly aesthetic thing? These floaters are just weird looking but are apparently quite the must have for the summer. Me, well I can live without those!
Celine

Givenchy

Prada
 
Moving on from the whole swimming pool inspired footwear, there’s the fashion sneaker which is like ( I roll my eyes and add a bimbo tone as I say this ) SO HOT! Apart from the Isabel Marant sneaker wedges, various designers have launched their version of sneakers (currently crushing on the Valentino Rockstud trainer). Dior will be launching theirs in India sometime in the near future. Personally, I love the sneaker (not the wedged one, the simple flat one). It’s quite versatile and can be paired with boyfriend jeans, cute summer dresses, mini-skirts and long skirts. I plan on investing in a pair in the summer sales.
Valentino
 
Finally, for the Fall, keeping in line with the menswear trend that influenced the fall shows, masculine shoes were all over the place. Victoria Beckham, Costume Nationale, Antonia Marras and many more designers had their version of formal men's shoes for women.  

Of course we have the classics you know, like the ballerina and pointed toe flats that are given a million updates season after season. Spiked, studded, bejewelled, embroidered and printed; the options are plenty. Then we have the ever so loved espadrille sandals (a personal favourite) and loafers like the Tod's Gommino series that again are evergreen and are available in a myriad of choices. The only difference is that now, flats are trending!

It’s really nice to finally be free from the chains of having to wear heels all the time. And I love the fact that I have so much more variety to choose from. Even though I couldn’t care less about the trend, sometimes it would feel weird when I would be the only person standing in flats (current season Gucci Horsebits that too)  and everyone else is in sky high heels.  I’m going to relish this trend for a long time to come and so should you!

 

1 comment: