Thursday 29 August 2013

Lakme Fashion Week Winter-Festive 2013: Day Two Highlights

Bring on the accessories!!! As an avid lover of everything that is chunky, I looked forward to day two of Lakme Fashion Week Winter-Festive 2013 with Little Shilpa, and Valliyan by Nitya showcasing on the ramps. And you guys should have seen how distressed I was seeing the state of things at LFW and I bitched with Hanadi for a good measure of time. I only like snippets of every collection and haven't come across anything that has left me going wow -- that has left me with shivers and brought me down to my knees in praise. Funny as I might sound, I consider fashion my religion. And those who think otherwise, I state the story of 'the sock and the salesman' (mail me if you would like to hear it too) to change their minds. Having said that, and looking at it all from a very non-biased point of view even though my professional work is related to a lot of international brands, where is the finesse at LFW? Little Shilpa has always been one of my favourite quirky accessory designers but her attempt at confluencing unconventional materials vs 'shabby-chic' falls flat on the ramp. It is one thing being whimsical, it is another being chaotic. Head gear overload indeed; one of course expects nothing short of exaggeration from the creator -- yet these left a lot to be desired. And saris were paired with men's shirts and the katori-choli was layered with bow-ties -- I do not even wish to comment anymore.

Little Shilpa, Lakme Fashion Week Winter-Festive 2013

Nitya Arora's pieces brought in influences of Art Deco crafted out of mixed media -- I liked the statement necklaces. Another accessory that caught my eye was this chain-mall kind of an all over body piece shown here on the third picture with the blue parasol -- would have loved some intricacy incorporated into the same.

Valliyan by Nitya Arora, Lakme Fashion Week Winter-Festive 2013

As for the clothing, Karishma Shahani's collection combined vibes of 'Mona Darling-style Bollywood glamour' where multiple fabrics, textures and prints came into play.

Karishma Shahani, Lakme Fashion Week Winter-Festive 2013

Ken Fern's collection titled Moon Rise played the peplum and corset to the hilt. Also on the ensembles were night-sky inspired prints. Aren't we a little done with the 'futuristic meets architectural splendour' bit already?

Ken Ferns, Lakme Fashion Week Winter-Festive 2013

Sneha Arora's collection called A Soldier Story brought together vintage silhouettes and reinterpreted funky camo prints. Simple as it might seem, this is one of my favourites so far, me being a huge fan of war-inspired fashions of WW I era. How funky it was to turn traditional camo into cute little motifs?

Sneha Arora, Lakme Fashion Week Winter-Festive 2013

Label Soup by Sougat Paul ensembles had a largely rustic, earth palette, interspersed with bright accents of mandarin and purple. From jackets to draped saris, Paul presented varied styles.

Soup by Sougat Paul, Lakme Fashion Week Winter-Festive 2013

I totally need to own of 'em' Anushka Khanna jersey dresses. Simple, chic and perfectly pret -- sophisticated Boheme ahem! Although nothing special you may say, simplicity always calls out to me.

Anushka Khanna, Lakme Fashion Week Winter-Festive 2013

I don't know; in Komal Sood's collection called Phoenix in Paradise, the flow seemed very detached to me. Could it be like casual style gives way to a glamour goddess (ashes to glory)? Zero finesse again. Outfits such as these deserve brilliant tailoring, which I don't think has been nailed here at all.

Komal Sood, Lakme Fashion Week Winter-Festive 2013

Rajat K Tangri's satin overload seemed ghastly to me. Silhouettes and cuts such as these are being done to death by everybody don't you think? 

Rajat K Tangri, Lakme Fashion Week Winter-Festive 2013

A gentle reprise and relief was Sailex's collection. The astute cuts with hints of sexiness, such as a peek-a-boo neckline or thigh-high slits were all created in monotone fabrics with a dose of florals.

Sailex, Lakme Fashion Week Winter-Festive 2013
Neither did label Shehlaa by Shehla Khan's feminine wispy numbers disappoint. Called Tale of the Unexpected bringing forth the designer's love for fairy tales, I think Khan has a knack for creating uber-delicate girlie silhouettes. I love the skirt on showstopper Jacqueline Fernandez (even though I could totally diss that neck-piece and bodice)

Shehlaa by Shehla Khan, Lakme Fashion Week Winter-Festive 2013

Another collection crafted entirely in black and gold, Shantanu Goenka's show titled Kruhun means black in Kashmiri. Inspired by India and the Middle-East, and with abundance of Kashmiri Tilla work, the ensembles were heavy on embellishments and texturing.

Shantanu Goenka, Lakme Fashion Week Winter-Festive 2013

Imma skip out on Troy Costa since ya'all know I don't do menswear and move straight onto the finale show of the day from Rocky Star by Rocky S. Metallics were a huge international trend this year trickling into 2014 shows as well and this is why I appreciated this collection. From textures to fabrics, metal sheen shone right and bright (nothing else to add lol).

Rocky S, Lakme Fashion Week Winter-Festive 2013


1 comment:

  1. I love Lakme Fashion Week, it's one of my favourite show! Indian Fashion is the best!

    ReplyDelete