Tuesday 21 May 2013

Equestrian Lovin'



"No hour of life is wasted that is spent in a saddle" - Winston Churchill

I’m married into a family whose love for the equestrian sports runs deep in their veins. My father in law is a champion rider and was majorly into tent pegging. At the age of 76, touch-wood he still rides a few times a week. My husband at some point in his life wanted to join the Indian army’s horse regiment (61st cavalry) so he could play polo all day long, thankfully reality kicked in! Both his siblings are also great riders; in fact his sister recently acquired a horse that belonged to Sheikh Mohammed.

I've noticed, whenever my father in law goes riding, he is very particular about the way he dresses; his polo tees (virtually wrinkle free) tucked neatly into his well fitted breeches and his squeaky clean riding boots as opposed to my husband who dresses like a complete jhalla! I bought the pati an Hermes whip for his last birthday, it still lies unopened in the orange box it came in!

Anyways, so riding is a very regal sport and the emphasis on appropriately dressing is justified.  Be it tent pegging, show jumping, dressage, polo or any of the equestrian disciplines, one must always be well dressed before mounting a horse.

Of course for me whatever the sport, it all sums up to being stylish; be it the clothes or accessories! Check out some of the essentials I would “need” if I were ever to ride!

Riding Gear


1.       La Martina Standard Helmet – I've noticed that riding gear is usually in neutral colours which can sometimes be slightly bland, which is why this yellow and red helmet is just perfect to add that splash of colour. Anyways waking up at 5 am to go to the club is such a pain; one does need something bright to start the day at such a ghastly hour! Click here to purchase.

2.       Joules Balmoral Gold Sash Polo – Okay so my eyes are exhausted from seeing Ralph Lauren polo tees all over Delhi and in my house (the husband has the tees and shirts in every possible colour you can imagine), so when I came across this Joules polo I was in love. The embroidered gold crest is just so regal. And the best part about riding gear is that it’s not limited to the sport. I can totally wear this during a day out and about. Click here to purchase.

3.       Holland Cooper Herringbone Jacket – Uh Oh, I can vision the supplementary credit card being maxed out and me having to hear the monthly lectures about my spending habits from the husband. Well, what am I supposed to do when I see such a beautifully cut jacket (you all know I’m obsessed with jackets right?) with an ostrich skin collar and fox suede trim?! So maybe I’m not going hunting like they do in Downton Abbey and the blazer isn't really required in my wardrobe, but I’m sorry, it’s just too gorgeous not to have. Click here to purchase.

4.       Hermès Cavale Saddle – If you’re participating in a show-jumping competition, naturally you need to invest in a fine saddle. The saddles at Hermès are made from the finest leather and can be customized to fit your horse. Check with the Oberoi boutique on 011-43607780 for availability of saddles and other equestrian products.

5.       Ariat Pro Circuit Low Rise Slim Breeches – I think breeches are really cool and I can totally wear them with a pair of boots and not even be a rider. However, if you have been looking for a pair that make your thighs look slim then these are perfect. Breeches can be slightly tricky due to their tight fit and how morbid to be seen in a pair that accentuates your thighs and not in a good way. Anyways, this brand is not available in India, however most Delhiites will be flocking to the US so you can order them accordingly. Click here to purchase.

6.       Hermès Saumur Riding Gloves – OMG aren't these lambskin gloves just beautiful?! Who better than Hermès to protect your hands from the reins? And trust all that lovely leather to give you a better grip when riding. The way I see it, you can so wear them on a cold winter night too for a better return on investment.

7.       Hermès Riding Crop – So this was the whip I gifted to the pati last year which has never been used even once! Anyways, if I ever start taking lessons, I’m definitely using it even if he doesn't want to.

8.       La Martina Pro Zip Polo Boots – Hmm, so I don’t know much about playing polo, however if you or your man are players, then these made to order La Martina boots are a great investment. Click here to purchase

No comments:

Post a Comment